[sf-lug] VPN Questions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Dec 4 15:26:35 PST 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Mark K. Zanfardino wrote:

> I've run into a problem I'm hoping one of you can help me resolve.  I'm
> attempting to connect my laptop (running Kubuntu Gutsy) to my company
> VPN.  The VPN is hosted by a LinkSys RV082 router.

According to http://joesbitbucket.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html
(which I found with some Googling for rv082), the router runs a common
Free Software VPN server called FreeSWAN.  So you should be in luck!

> I'd read (http://joey.ubuntu-rocks.org/blog/) that I can use QuickVPN to
> connect, which is the recommended method here at the office.  I've
> installed QuickVPN 1.1.0 and can successfully run it in wine.  I can
> even get it to connect and authenticate.
>
> However, that's as far as I get.  I'm not at all sure what's supposed to
> happen next.

Nor am I!  Let's not go much farther down that road.

> I have generated a certificate on the VPN server and moved it to my
> local machine, which resolved an issue with the software complaining
> that I didn't have a server certificate, but that's all it did.

Can you try to set up freeswan or openswan or try using NetworkManager and
see if it handles this for you?  Does the above link help at all?

-- Asheesh.

--
The moon may be smaller than Earth, but it's further away.