[sf-lug] request to mentor a student in the Google secondary school coding contest

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:20:19 PST 2007

hi

On Dec 1, 2007 10:07 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > This is an opportunity to mentor a middle school student in writing code
> for
> > a new Google contest that has started below.  The prizes are really
> small,
> > but it is a great opportunity to get at least one kid at our local
> public
> > middle school FOSS project interested in becoming a FOSS developer.
>
> Do some of these kids already know how to program, or would I have to
> teach that too?

yeah, we would need to start from scratch, including finding a kid who would
like to do it.  I believe that we would have the support of the science
teacher.  We just need to show the science teacher that we are talking about
relatively simple programs, if the prize is just $100.00, and secondary
school kids are invited.

I am just trying everything I can think of to get FOSS more deeply into the
DNA of this school.

In other words, this is part of my on-