[sf-lug] Migrate an x86_64 box to i386 without reinstall

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Nov 30 17:38:36 PST 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> I am about to attempt it, against all recommendations from everyone
> else.  If you have any idea what the pitfalls are going to be, please
> let me know now!  Any suggestions?  What should I do before and after?
> How can I mitigate any potential issues?  Thanks :-)

I recommend a fake reinstall with debootstrap.  See
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en for example.

You can debootstrap a basic Ubuntu/Debian, and then mv your old /usr /var
/etc into /old-root/{usr,var,etc], and then "mv /new-root/* /" and you'd
be done.

-- Asheesh.

--
A full belly makes a dull brain.