[sf-lug] Volunteer InstallFest (Dec 15th)

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:48:39 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 3:55 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):
>
> > I am wondering if we could get some kind of public calendar going and
> post
> > it to the SF-LUG site?  I am thinking of a google calendar, for example.
>

> Just FYI, Google Calendar is not open source.  It's also my personal
> view that LUGs should host their own services, rather than relying on
> commercial services (with or without exchange of funds) offered by Web
> 2.0 businesses.

yeah, I guess my suggestion for a Google Calendar was a non-starter for at
least both of those reasons.

And yet, there is this Bay Area LUG google calendar that is helpful:

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=caj9iea2ol69b7n2uqdek4ocso%40group.calendar.google.com&dates=20070609%2F20070609&gsessionid=Ka2b-TYD9WA

Tiny url here:

http://tinyurl.com/2u6v9n

But maybe all of this is duplicative of Rick Moen's work here:

http://linuxmafia.com/bale/

Suggestions?  My first impluse is that it might just make sense to email
stuff to Rick's calendar, linked above.  Rick has been maintaining this
calendar for years and years now, and so maybe it makes sense to bring
eyeballs where they have the best chance of finding updated, accurate
stuff.  The only downside to doing so is that it continues to place a lot of
work on Rick, and what if he takes a vacation or something?  But Rick has
been going strong for a long time now, and doesn't seem to show any signs of
fatigue, so it seems as if it will be fine to continue to maybe just use
Rick's page.

Thought?