[sf-lug] Backups are important

Jason Turner jturner at nonzerosums.org
Wed Nov 21 13:00:55 PST 2007

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 2:36 PM, Jason Turner <jturner at nonzerosums.org> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the folks at Ubuntu/other Linux distribution can take a look at
>> Apple's latest attempt in OS X, "Time Machine".
>> http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leotimemac/index.php
>>
>> Paired with an 'unbreakable' GUI interface to address your earlier point.
>>

> Does Time Machine backup system files as well?
Yes, by default though you can apparently enable the option to exclude them.

> And if so, what happens if you manually damage some system-level graphical component in OS X?  How do you recover?
Under this scenario, I imagine most Mac users might try a couple of
things they're comfortable with before panicking.

1. Booting into Safe Mode and seeing if Disk Utilities magical goodness
can fix the problem (I have no idea if they provide an option to
reinstall certain system files)

or

2. Boot the install DVD and run DU or Time Machine.  Probably both.

Unfortunately, I do not own the latest and greatest Apple OS(OS X
Leopard) or I'd offer to bring it along to the next SF-LUG mtg and give
this a run through.  By all reports though, it seems Apple has put
together a truly intuitive, and invisible until you need it, backup and
restore program.

I dunno if it would Riley with his Windows partitions though!