[sf-lug] Backups are important

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 21 11:51:52 PST 2007

Quoting RBV (GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net):

> At present, I happily use Ghost to backup my dual-boot W2K Pro /
> Ubuntu 7.04 computer.

A one-generation backup stored in the same building is indeed better than
nothing.  It does qualify as backup, for small values of "backup".  ;->

> The essential point is regardless of any aesthetic or theological offenses
> committed by using Ghost, IT WORKS

Almost as well as Partimage (http://www.partimage.org/).  And Ghost
destroys partitions much less often than it used to.  I wish you luck.

> Well, it seems to me that a vigorous debate is NOT a workable backup
> strategy...

Well, aren't _you_ the commendable moderate?  And we all know that
compromise is always inherently wise.  ;->
(http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#compromise)