[sf-lug] Backups are important

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:48:26 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 12:43 PM, RBV <GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> By the by, here's a new entry in my list of possibilities:
>
> http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/
>
> Note that there seems to be a "Live" CD version of Clonezilla that performs
> very Ghost-like imaging and restorals.

I highly recommend Clonezilla :-)
http://tinyurl.com/28czm7

However, Clonezilla can only make backups while the OS is shut down.
Ideally, I agree with Rick that something needs to be done in
real-time to fix the problem for people who are less knowledgeable.
All us "pros" know how to save our own asses with remote backup, but
the newbies don't have a clue.  My father doesn't have a clue.  I
don't think he cares to even know!  What my father or legally blind
step-mother would want is something simple.  Maybe it would even be
included on the Ubuntu LiveCD installer disc.  You load up the LiveCD,
the Desktop appears, and there is a link that the user can click for
something similar to System Restore.  This tool would presumably mount
the file system (assuming no corruption), scan for the TimeVault
snapshots, and present the user with a "Go back to this known good
date" option.  The user selects the day, lets it run, and then
reboots.  The machine is back to normal...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen