[sf-lug] RAM for a DELL Inspiron 4000 notebook; and distro choice

bobbie sellers bliss at california.com
Thu Nov 15 21:59:09 PST 2007

Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> hi
>
> A friend has asked me to install Linux on a computer for her.  She is
> starting small and tough, though, and she has given me a Dell Inspiron 4000
> with 128 MB of RAM.  That amount of RAM is basically going to limit me to
> either Vector or Puppy Linux.  And it gets worse.  She apparently did not
> order an ethernet jack with this thing, and so she would only have dial up,
> at least until we can get her a wifi card.

	A Slax distribution runs about 200 Megabytes and can be run from
the CD drive.

> So I have three questions:  first, does anyone have any spare RAM for this
> notebook that they are willing to part with?  I would really like to get her
> started on a more full-bodied distro, if possible.

	What ram modules does it require?  That bit of data would help
some people answer the question.

> Second, what distro should we use?  I am thinking that we probably want
> something that is really small, as she has only a 10 GB hard drive.  I don't
> want to use Damn Small, because in my experience, Damn Small really does
> require some CLI proficiency, and she is a rank beginner to Linux, although
> she does have a mind like a steel trap and learns quickly, but still, I
> don't want to put her through the Damn Small hurdles just yet, particularly
> in light of the fact that Damn Small really does require an ethernet
> connection to download additional packages to a much greater degree than
> Puppy or Vector.  That is why I am thinking of Vector or Puppy.  Vector has
> a nicer GUI, IMHO, which is important or simple end users.  So I am sort of
> leaning toward Vector.
>
> Third, are there any unusual tricks to installing Linux on a notebook such
> as this, or can I basically just load the CD into the CD-ROM and away we
> go?  I would appreciate any tips re traps for the unwary.
>
> Thanks!

	The only tricks I know about involve taking a moment to read the
documentation.

    later
    bliss --  (at california dot com)

--
 bobbie sellers - (Back to Angband) Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

        Your tag lines (k) were stolen! (more)
            There is a puff of smoke!