[sf-lug] new computer

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 20:52:34 PST 2007

Alex, you did the right thing by posting to this list before buying.  Please
don't buy without letting this list get back to you on these things.  Also,
I have a friend who has built literally hundreds of Linux boxes.  He might
be willing to help you, but he will only install openSUSE on it, or *maybe*
PClinuxOS.  He does not like Ubuntu, though, and so he might not help you if
you are going to do Ubuntu, or he might help you build the box, but not
install Ubuntu.  He might just prefer to let you install Ubuntu.  I will ask
him, if you want his help.

Also, one important point:  why do you want to build a powerful box?  You
should know that in advance, because different Linux distros excel at
different things. Farther down in the list below you have asked us whether
we recommend one component over another, but most people here on this list
will probably need to know what you want to do with the box before they will
be able to make recommendations.

For example, if you are going to want to have 3d graphics acceleration
(spinning cubes, wiggly windows, etc) then you are going to need to choose
your video card very carefully, or Compiz won't work too well with it.  (I
would not recommend 3d graphics, because it is a waste of money, IMHO,
unless you really LOVE fancy things like windows that are stackable and burn
up in a fire dramatically when you close them).

Also, if you are going to build a powerful box, one of the most important
things is to find one guru with whom you get along well, and that guru might
have a preference for one distro over another, for example, my friend who
prefers openSUSE and PClinuxOS.