[sf-lug] Grub trouble

RBV GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 11 09:20:45 PST 2007

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:14:18 -0800
> From: Femtoghoti <femtoghoti at gmail.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] Grub trouble
>
> if is setup grub on (hd0) i boot straight to windows and grub is never
> executed.  when i install grub on (hd4) and tell it that the linux
> boot partition is at (hd0,0) all i get is a "GRUB Hard disk error" and
> all execution stops.  i then have to restore the MBR to get the
> computer to boot Windows.
>
> so ... the question is any idea what is going on here?  or a direction
> to head down?
>
> thanks
>
> Eric

I'm certainly no expert, just a mere user of a dual-boot config, but if
you're not already aware of it, one of the things that's helped me and
others with Grub problems is the Super Grub program:

http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Download the Super Grub CD image (I found the floppy image to be useless),
burn it as a ISO, and boot into it.  Super Grub will help you configure your
MBR, etc.

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley