[sf-lug] Wireless Mesh networking using the XO laptop (was something else...)

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:41:59 PST 2007

On 11/9/07, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Mass production is already happening as we speak/write
> (http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/421). We will probably buy a few at SF
> State so that we can conduct mesh networking experiments. We did this a
> few years ago by employing laptops in cars and forming a mobile mesh. It
> was way too difficult though to form the mesh and "hold it in formation"
> because of the software and meshing protocols at the time. The XO seems
> a lot better. Here's a short excerpt of the experiment
> http://xpress.sfsu.edu/archives/tech/000236.html
>
> Let me know if anyone is interested in helping us out.

You might benefit from some of the research at my alma mater :-)
http://prisms.cs.umass.edu/dome/index.php?page=amherst-community-wireless

They utilize the DTN protocol and I was on their mailing list for a
while.  Some of my friends from school are doing grad work now and are
still working on the project I believe.  Maybe the XO laptop would be
a great thing for both UMass and you guys to try out.  Not bad for a
"$100 laptop"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_Tolerant_Networking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XO-1_%28laptop%29
--