[sf-lug] Open SuSE linux questions

Mike mikronixx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:30:20 PST 2007

Hey folks,

Several SF-lug members on Sunday suggested I post my questions about
OpenSuSE (and other topics) here.  I am not sure what is the best way to
post my questions, so I will do one for each topic.

I work in an OpenSuSE shop(i know, i know....but it was early to market
with 64 bit), and we have a new sys. admin. (who has Red Hat experience,
but not SuSE) who wants to abandon YaST, and write a script to configure
the network interface.  He also wants to push out an /etc/resolv.conf
instead of using YaST.  My experience with YaST has been it will clobber
changes that are made to files that are not done through yast.  Also,
SuSE has an usual way of naming /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg* files:  it
includes the MAC address in the name.

The Novell documentation strongly suggests you use YaST to configure
network interfaces, and only configure manually as a last resort.

Is anyone aware of any success stories where someone has successfully
scripted network interfaces and configuration in a SUSE shop?
Personally, I think this is alot of work for little gain, as we deploy
3-7 servers a month.

Thanks in advance,

Mike