[sf-lug] Meeting Notes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 5 01:34:27 PST 2007

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> Thanks, I had actually checked out the write-up after last meeting :-)
>  Good stuff...

Yr. welcome.  You know, sometimes you look at old Web-page items, even
well-maintained ones like that one, and think "Wow, that's more than a
bit antique."  The item, in this case, is up to date, but its rationale
is very 1998.

That is, I first wrote it when when Netscape Communicator 4.6x was the
leading Web browser on Linux and all non-Win32 platforms, but segfaulted
on any site with heavy use of tables, and, in particular, Front Page
sites.  So, people were perennially complaining about how the "main Web
browser on Linux" sucked.

However, Mozilla Communicator 0.92 and later, and the contemporaneous
releases of Konqueror and Galeon, had recently surpassed Netscape in
quality and were leaving it in the dust.  So, the FAQ item aimed to
answer the above-cited bit of then-current anti-Linux rhetoric by saying
"Netscape?  How quaint", and pointing to what's better.

The Netscape reference now probably seems a bit odd, out of that context.