[sf-lug] Major laptop issue with linux

Jason Turner jturner at nonzerosums.org
Wed Oct 31 20:54:42 PDT 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Mark G Sobell (mark at sobell.com):
>

>> Here is one view:
>> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77672.html
>>
>> And here is a summary of the launchpad info on the problem:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DanielHahler/Bug59695?action=show
>>

> (Big picture #1:  Ubuntu's been taking heat because an hdparm default with
> obviously excellent intentions and rationale interacts badly with some
> poorly engineered laptop hardware.  Arguably, Ubuntu should have been
> less diligent about power management to protect the relatively small
> number of people with the incompetently built machines.)
>
> (Big picture #2:  ACPI is such a clusterfsck spec that it's surprising
> this sort of mishap doesn't occur more frequently.)
>

> One takeaway lesson, which some people (present company very much
> excepted ;-> ) take a long time learning, is that distro installation
> defaults are not engraved in stone, Linux is not a locked-down
> appliance, and your configuration is up to _you_.
>
> When someone says to me "Hey, I don't like my distro's default settings",
> I automatically at least think (if not say), "Well, change them, then.
> Are your fingers broken?"
>
> hdparm settings are among the many things it's in one's interest to
> check and adjust to suit.   If that wasn't obvious to most of this
> list's readers, y'all can write on your calendars "I learned something
> today."  ;->

I read this mail with something akin to "anticipation"... cuz as you
went on, I couldn't help but think, "does he consider my disk management
settings something I should be explicitly aware of?"  And then you end
with that *UN*obvious[to me] suggestion.

I'm going to write on my calendar now...  It [somewhat] scares me to
think of what other "basics" I've been overlooking for 10+ years.