[sf-lug] Major laptop issue with linux

John Lowry johnlowry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 11:48:16 PDT 2007

It looks like it is a particular bug in some manufacturers default
settings for their drives. I am not sure who it is, I just remember it
was not affecting anything I had, forgot a lot of the specifics already
when I read about it. Ubuntu has a policy of going with default settings
for hardware, unless it causes a problem. They went with the default
here, without realizing it would kill a hard drive.