[sf-lug] One Click Ubuntu install ... from Windows

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 01:04:14 PDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> This app has been on Digg a bunch of times, I'm fairly sure.  Is this a vm?

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

<snip>
Wubi Internals

How does Wubi work?

Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu which allows you to run
Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the windows file system
(c:\wubi\disks\system.virtual.disk), this file is seen by Linux as a
real hard disk.

Is this running Ubuntu within a virtual environment or something similar?

No. This is a real installation, the only difference is that Ubuntu is
installed within a file as opposed to being installed within its own
partition. Thus we spare you the trouble to create a free partition
for Ubuntu. And we spare you the trouble to have to burn a CD-Rom.
</snip>
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen