[sf-lug] old processors and kernel optimization for them (continuation of questions re ThinkPad P266

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 18:03:38 PDT 2007

Rick:
You've been great helping me and again I'm very gratefull.
A few follow up comments and questions if I may.
I did open the "back door" to the "SODIMM" bays and have had the memory
out for inspection. Trying to count the number of contacts was a
serious test of my vision! We have new maxed out "sticks" on their way
for $17 each so it is being done as you advised. (savings of ~$150
compared to the computer shop, I thought the shop would be more
expensive but never dreamed it would be that much of a ripoff)
I now understand perfectly about the kernel chick&egg problem.
You mention that Mandriva as an example of a distro that is
downloadable in both i586 (what I'd need) as well as i686 versions.
I'll check out if I can find such a download. If there are others of
which you know please mention them. (always good to have a backup.)
I have yet to try what you suggested (locate plugins +/- updatedb)to
get flashplayer installed: hope to get to it soon.
Thanks again, Rick

alex at kleider.net