[sf-lug] OT: Hacker space in San Francisco?

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:52:06 PDT 2007

hi

On 10/23/07, Kristian Erik Hermansen <kristian.hermansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) How do I find such people who will want to live there?

This list and sv-lug and Conspire.  And craigslist.

2) How many are necessary to sustain a good environment?

Depends on the size.

3) General best locations in/out of the city?

Think transit.  You are going to hate life in SF if you insist on driving.
I live in the Western Addition, and I actually really like it.  It is a
mixed race neighborhood, which is great.  Not everyone is a yuppy.  There
are real people here.  Trust me, you will miss real people if you move into
a yuppy neighborhood.  I would really suggest that you look at the Western
Addition.  Think Geary and Scott or Geary and Fillmore.  If you go south of
Geary, you will get cheaper rents.  Plus, you can just hop on the Geary bus
to go almost anywhere.

4) How to raise money for projects/activities/rent/parties?

The eternal question.

5) How to prevent fraud/illegal misuse of the hacker space?

Depends on the physical use of the space.  I would suggest a keycard that
logs people's arrivals / departures, plus cameras in the public space.  Good
fences make good neighbors.  You don't want just one big open space, or you
will never have a sex life (or you will have a GREAT sex life), and you will
never sleep.

Anything else I am missing?

yes, don't plan on working in the place you live.  At least, don't  plan on
working in an open space with lots of people coming in and out.  You will
hate life.  You will get ripped off and abused and you will have no life of
your own.  But you will get laid a lot.  At least at first.  And then you
will get a girlfriend who wants more privacy, and you will move out.

I lived in a crash pad when I first came to San Francisco.  I never knew who
would be in my bed when I came home.  I was 23 then, so that was a good
thing.  I got laid a lot.  Never got any STDs, either.  Praise be to Yaweh
for creating raincoats (condoms).  AIDS had just started, really.  But it
was thought of as a "gay" disease.  So everyone else fucked like rabbits.
Now the scare is off, and so once again, everyone is fucking like rabbits.
SF is the horniest city on earth.  Have fun!