[sf-lug] seems I need a bit more help re IBM type 2611 ThinkPad 1400

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 15:16:36 PDT 2007

"You mean IBM machine type 2611?"
Yes indeed, that is what it appears to be.
I (and its owner) are very excited to hear that there appears to be
life in her yet. With Windows2000 running her owner was finding things
intollerable so I offered to try to rejuvinate her with Linux. We'll
get on over to a "memory store" as soon as I'm free during opening

As to
Like this:
Thanks for the tip. I had see similar suggestions when I was surfing
for an answer yesturday BUT
# fdisk /dev/hda    (or hda1,   or  sda etc)
unable to open /dev/hda   (or what ever parameter I enter)

I was hoping to do this while I'm waiting to get the memory upgrade
just for the experience of doing this sort of thing.
Perhaps I need a "rescue disk" and use it for this purpose instead.
You mentioned your favourite rescue disk not long ago and I tried to
download it but don't remember why I didn't: pehaps what ever problem I
was trying to solve went away; I'll try to look up in my notes but if
you happen to see this soon, perhaps you could mention it in an e-mail:
I may not be able to find it as easily as I should.
Thanks a lot again for not only helpfull but in this case very good news.

alex at kleider.net

Do You Yahoo!?