[sf-lug] [Ubuntu-US-CA] REVIEW: Quick Assessment of Canonical's Landscape Management tool for Ubuntu Infrastructures

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:28:27 PDT 2007

hi Kristian and Steve,

On 10/12/07, Steve George <steve.george at canonical.com> wrote:

> Kristian,
>
> Just to clarify Landscape is available Free (no charge) during the beta
> period.  You can register for a trial here:
> http://www.canonical.com/contact/forms/landscape

I am a volunteer who is providing level one sys admin support to a public
middle school in San Francisco, California, and documenting the same for a
video project called the Digital Tipping Point.  The basic story line is
that I travel around the world filming the project, and then I test out what
I have learned in one single public middle school in San Francisco, to see
if we can tip that one school.  We are not succeeding so far.  But this
technology might help us.  When we were in Extremadura, Spain, we saw
technology that would allow a teacher to grab all the students desktops, or
just one or two desktops, and control those desktops from the teacher's
station.  It supposedly is similar to this tool:

http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/

That would so blow the socks off of all the teachers at the school if we
could implement it.  Currently, we are running about 23 chubby terminals
from an Edubuntu server with about 2 GB of RAM and a dual core with the
chips running at about 2 ghz, I think.  I am wondering if we could get
Landscape or FL_TeacherTool implemented at this school, and if Canonical and
/ or Kristian might be interested in helping out.

Thanks either way!