[sf-lug] ebay security analysis: phishers targeting linux (fwd)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Oct 5 13:43:52 PDT 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, bobbie sellers wrote:

>    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/printer/CD0B9D97EE6FE411CC25736A000E4723

>From the article:

 	"We see a lot of Linux machines used in phishing," said Alfred Huger, vice
 	president for Symantec Security Response. "We see them as part of the
 	command and control networks for botnets, but we rarely see them be the
 	actual bots. Botnets are almost uniformly Windows-based."

Just the same old story: Linux on the server, Windows on the client.

When will the malware authors learn that 2007 is the Year of the Linux
Desktop?

Luckily, the phishers do see that access to Linux is a valuable commodity:

 	Capabilities like this make Linux machines highly coveted by online
 	attackers, and they fetch a premium in the underground marketplace for
 	compromised machines, Amit said.

Yet another way to make money off Free Software!

-- Asheesh.

P.S. (-;

--
Life can be so tragic -- you're here today and here tomorrow.