[sf-lug] Diskless Workstation/Fat Client

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:38:57 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Kristian Erik Hermansen <kristian.hermansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you want DRBL or LTSP (fat client mode).  You DO NOT
> want Edubuntu/LTSP (thin client mode)...

Why ?

Also, this is something that we probably could use some help on at the
school.  James Burgett gave us some good chubby terminals, and if it were
possible to run it as a chubby terminal, as opposed to running all of the
services on the server, I would love to be able to figure that out.  I just
don't know how to do it, and I have limited time to figure this stuff out
and come up to speed.  So if I can't get a Linux wizard into the lab to
configure things properly to the point where I do just basic monkey
maintenance, then I tend to just go with the status quo, which is not
necessarily a "best-of-breed" approach.

It is true, for example, that we have not been able to figure out how to get
YouTube audio playing across the network, which maybe is just as well,
because maybe audio would choke the system.  We really sort of are hovering
on the very edge of our functional limits.  Anything that I can do to take
the stress off of the server and off of the network and make the clients
carry more of the load, I would LOVE to do.  But I just don't know how to do
it flawlessly, and currently we have a more or less working system that I am
loathe to tweak, because teachers do use this lab, and they count on its
performance.  I can't do anything that would result in the lab being
non-functional when the teachers show up with 25 kids expecting to do their
music theory or their OOo docs or their Internet browsing.

But if we could change the lab so as to get the clients to carry a greater
load, I would love it.  Any offer of help is met with great gratitude and a
pizza to boot.    ;-)