[sf-lug] Suggestions for "traditional" *nix email client?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Sep 29 20:04:04 PDT 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, RBV wrote:

> Asheeh:
>
> First, we sorta' met at the last SF-LUG meeting at JavaCat.  I was the guy
> with the ponytail sitting with my back to the west-side window...

Ah-hah, cool!  Nice to re-meet you.  (I'm CC:ing the SF-LUG list so that
others can benefit from this conversation.)

> More to the point, thanks for the food for thought.  I just used Synaptic to
> install both Dovecot and something Synaptic referred to in conjunction with
> Dovecot, Sylpheed Claws.
>
> I have no idea what I'll do with this stuff.  Or when, if at all.  But it's
> there so I can poke at it if I'm in the mood.

Well, once you install Dovecot you can just start using it immediately as
an IMAP server on localhost.  That's all; your username and password are
your regular local system username and password.

You can even get started using it in Thunderbird - just tell it you have a
New Account where the IMAP server is localhost and the username is your
local username.

> One immediate question that comes to mind is that of security.  Does
> running Dovecot create any security issues that don't currently exist
> with my simple, single-user Ubuntu computer?

If you configure Dovecot to only listen on localhost, which if I recall
correctly is the default, then there are no security implications for
people who are not already sitting at your computer (i.e., no *network*
security implications).

I'm a really big fan of my current setup, so I'm happy to help you out if
you want help with it.  Remind me to go to an SF-LUG meeting with the
carrot that I might help you with that, and I'll probably reply saying
I'll be there for sure.

-- Asheesh.

--
"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."
 		-- Jane Wagner