[sf-lug] Linux install on Older Laptop (Ubuntu??)

Neil neilgg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:13:48 PDT 2007

I'm actually writing this in the middle of working through a new xubuntu
install.  I can't comment on the  use of that laptop but I can say that the
xubuntu install (Desktop CD) is pretty straight forward.  I do have two
complaints/comments about it: 1- If you are an advanced user who has
installed various flavors of linux you'll be shocked as to how little this
installer asks you.  2 - It seems like a fairly minimal install, which  is a
good thing.  Idea 1 is great for new users who don't want to answer lots of
questions, but 2 leaves them with a system that works, but may not have what
they want.

Another comment regarding new users in general: It is important that you
understand everything this person wants to do and can get the machine setup
for that.  Main examples I can think of are restricted codec issues, and
openoffice/MS office compatability.

Personally I think xfce is great and gives you a lot to work with.
Let us know how it goes.
--Neil