[sf-lug] license count != software popularity (Re: [Balug-Talk] Open Source less popular than Free Software)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 26 04:34:53 PDT 2007

[yeah, don't send/reply to lists one can't post directly to ... tends to be
discourteous and annoy the list maintainers/moderators]

license count != software popularity

I could programatically generate N distinct licenses, where N is a
sufficiently large number, author a piece of software, and simultaneously
release it under all N licenses.  I could also programatically
generate M distinct pieces of software, again where M is a sufficiently
large number, and release every M piece of software each under N
distinct licenses each.  The larger(/largest) number of
licenses covering the software, and even count of released software,
however, would not necessarily correlate at all to the popularity of the
software.

Installed base and use of installed base of software, or statistical
approximations thereof, are typically better measures of a software's
popularity.  Of course, again, one may need to excercise appropriate
care in how the counting is done (if I could exceedingly cheaply
create a very large number X of computers, and simultaneously install
on all of them ...)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
 - Benjamin Disraeli