[sf-lug] recovery from loss of root password

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 26 04:09:13 PDT 2007

http://tinyurl.com/2h4v65
GIYF

Also, passing
init=/bin/sh
will work with any method that allows one to pass that as kernel boot
argument (e.g. GRUB, etc. - not just LILO).

One can also simply crash the system and boot from alternative
media - e.g. CD-ROM ... but that won't be so useful if the root (/)
filesystem is strongly encrypted (e.g. LUKS) and one doesn't have or can't
determine passphrase to decrypt the root filesystem.

kernel local root exploit certainly wouldn't be the most conventional
means to recovering the root password; if attempted, it also runs fair
probability of crashing the system anyway.