[sf-lug] ps -A | grep timidity

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 20:03:00 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/25/07, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 01:29:35PM -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> > There are also some graphical user programs that will show you the
> system
> > usage.  It varies from distro to distro.  Which distro are you using?
>
> ksysguard under KDE (e.g., on Kubuntu) is a pretty nice graphical 'top'.
> You can filter, see processes as a tree (child/parent relationships,
> etc.).

+1  I recently wrote some newbie documentation in using KSysGuard because I
was using it to try to figure out the Edgy Kubuntu problem that I am having
on one of my boxes that I am using for rendering the Digital Tipping Point
film (that problem is kind of gnarly in itself, and I am going to post about
it soon).  In the process of trying to figure out why my hd light stays on
under Edgy Kubuntu, but not under openSUSE 10.2 on the same box, I had to
figure out whether there was a bad driver under Edgy for my hd light, or
whether my hd was actually being read / written continuously as the light
indicated.  It turns out that ksysguard was able to tell me that yes, in
fact, I am having that problem with my hd.  I learned a little bit in the
process, and so put up a description of what I learned here.  Please feel
free to edit it, because I am, after all, a relative newbie, and prone to
doing things the hard way:

http://en.opensuse.org/Monitor_your_hard_disk_activity_with_KSysGuard

Also, from the command line, instead of:

>   ps aux | grep foo
>   [figure out foo's pid]
>   kill pid
>
> you can often just do:
>
>   killall foo

This is really nice, and it worked with killing OpenOffice.org by doing

$ killall soffice

But I did not have similar success in my attempt to kill Firefox with

$ killall firefox

Instead of killing Firefox, it just returned me to a user prompt:

19:53 linux-athlon64x2:~ > killall soffice
19:53 linux-athlon64x2:~ > killall firefox
19:53 linux-athlon64x2:~ >

What do you suppose I was doing wrong there?  Thanks in advance.