[sf-lug] GNU Denemo chokes a dual core 2 GB server at the school

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:55:42 PDT 2007

I implemented Edubuntu at my University on some older hardware.  I
would say that I was satisfied with it up until about 10 clients.
After that, you have to remember that all tasks are occurring on the
central server, not on the end-points.  If you would like to utilize
the hardware of the end-points, let me suggest using Diskless Remote
Boot Linux (DRBL) or LTSP in fat-client mode.  This will allow you to
offload the processing to the clients, and not the main server.  I
assume your are encountering a sharing problem with the sound device
between all the computers.  Remember that standard LTSP (Edubuntu)
only forwards the Xorg traffic to the clients via a secured
connection, and that all operations are happening on the central
server.  Thus, if one resource gets contention on the server, all
client swill degrade as well...

http://drbl.sourceforge.net/

Kristian Erik Hermansen