[sf-lug] [svlug] [K12OSN] FOSS music notation and editing software

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Sun Sep 23 10:56:58 PDT 2007

Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> hi
>
> On 9/12/07, *Sonja Gonzalez* <sgonzalez at sau83.org
> <mailto:sgonzalez at sau83.org>> wrote:
>
>     Sorry, I was incomplete (I don't know much about this software.) The
>     free version is Finale Notepad, and that's what she wants.
>

> Just a few minutes ago, I gave our music teacher a free computer with
> Edubuntu Linux, running Rosegarden, NoteEdit, GNU Denomo, and GNU
> Solfege.  She is going to take the computer home and experiment with
> it.  She originally asked the school to spend money on a proprietary
> license that would have cost $80 for 14 seats, or nearly $1, 000.00.
> Now she has decided that money would be better spent on instruments, and
> she is going to try to run those open source software music programs
> across our Edubuntu thin client network.
>
> Sonja, maybe you would be interested in contacting one of these
> organizations to find out about receiving free computers for your
> school.  There might even be a program like this near you in Fremont, NH.
>
> http://www.freegeek.org/
>
> http://www.accrc.org

   LAU (linux audio users) mailing list at
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/linux-audio-user is
pretty good in answering this sort of questions.

   IMO these might be usefull to look at (in addition to the programs
mentioned above):

   - Muse sequencer http://muse-sequencer.org/

   - Hydrogen drum machine http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

	erik