[sf-lug] HVLC: The next stage - UPDATED DATE/TIME

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 12:33:44 PDT 2007

hi

If it is okay with you guys, I would like to document your work on video for
the DTP.  It is kind of interesting that members of the support crew for the
school are also interested in supporting the HVCC, and so that might make an
interesting story line.  The "characters" in our documentary are probably
going to be our local LUG.  Then we will use the footage from Munich,
Brazil, and Spain to hang on the frame of our local story line.  There seems
to be a coalescing of interests and characters here now in our local LUGs,
and we seem to be making progress in the very crucial business of reaching
newbies.

IMHO, without newbies, FOSS is nothing.  Without end users, FOSS is
nothing.  Market share means market share among simple end users, and I
personally believe that much of the work that we are doing is to create
brand acceptance for the idea of FOSS and the Deb and rpm repositories,
which will lay the groundwork for Dell, HP, Zareason, TechCollective.com,
and others to commercialize the FOSS space, which, in turn, results in more
capital to support community projects like HVCC and the school, which in
turn, results in greater brand acceptance, and it is a virtuous cycle of
commoditization, commercialization, and community building. Of course our
film is going to have music, and special effects, but that is the idea
underlying the film.  That is how I think we will reach a digital tipping
point.

I've just spoken to Gloria (the co-ordinator at the center), and she
> can't make this time. So, I've re-scheduled for Sunday 30th September at
> 3pm. Hope this works for people.

Would you please ask her if she minds if we shoot at the HVCC ?   Also,
Kami, I would like to check in with you and see if you mind.
Coincidentally, Jim Lynch knows me, and I think that he and I have a good
association or relationship (for lack of a better term) on the refurbishers
list.  I know that this is not a Compumentor project, but I figure it
doesn't hurt to do a little outreach to everyone in the SF Bay Area tech
community.  Everyone has a role to play in beating the digital divide, and I
know that Jim is really committed to doing just that.