[sf-lug] Ubuntu live CD and wi-fi

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Sep 19 23:06:25 PDT 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, jim stockford wrote:

>    I know a very shy person who's got a laptop that's
> running some weird OS on it. It seems to work, but....
>    When this shy person uses an Ubuntu live CD on
> the laptop, some things work, but not the critically
> important wi-fi.
>    What do i need to know to help this shy person
> use a live Ubuntu CD and get the laptop's wi-fi
> system to work and thereby connect to the internet?

What wireless chip?  Can you get the output of lspci?  Can you also get
the output of lsmod?  If possible also /var/log/kern.log also?  And also
of iwconfig?

Define "not work", too.  What have you tried that hasn't done what
you expect?

It could be that the graphical Ubuntu tools make some of the above easier,
but sadly I'm more familiar with the command-line system info tools.

-- Asheesh.