[sf-lug] Centralised phone number for Linux Support

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:06:46 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/15/07, Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 17:25 -0700, jim stockford wrote:
> > a reaction: great idea.
> >     someone has to pay for the phone and some ones
> > have to be willing to put in some time.
>
> How do you mean someone would have a to willing to put in some time? For
> what aspect - the management of the system?

Yes, probably maintenance.  For example, with the Digital Tipping Point
server, we might occasionally get /.'d and Dugg and then we need several
hard reboots.  Or we had someone run a porno list from our /tmp dir, and
they needed to be evicted.  Plus, you are going to need to advertise the
service and market it, and that takes time to make a sexy website.  Plus you
are going to need to just occasionally install new stuff to the server.  We
had an issue where we had to move to drupal because mambo didn't play well
with mediaWiki, which is what runs our wiki.  So there are some issues that
need to get sorted out.  Plus, there is the inevitable vandalism, and we
have had our wiki hacked and we do need help with cleaning up spam off of
the wiki and from our forums.  There is a lot of work associated with merely
having a web presence.

I think that would be
> outweighed by the benefits of a system like this.

+1

True dat.

But it will be work.

>     this might best be done using VoIP and software
> > such as asterisk.
>
> That would be cool. Perhaps some VoIP/asterisk experts could weigh in
> and let me know if all this is possible using asterisk.

There is a lawyer friend of mine who might be able to help us out.  He has
VOIP numbers in UK and continental Europe, and  so I am pretty sure that
this is doable with Asterisk.

If so, I think
> this would probably be a better way to go since then you're not
> dependent on some outside provider. What I'm not sure about is how you
> hook up asterisk to the regular phone network so that people can all
> into it from a regular phone. If anyone has some experience on this,
> would they be willing to discuss at a LUG meeting?

I am going to have to ask this lawyer to come to speak at BALUG so he can
get a free dinner out of it.  heh.