[sf-lug] SF-LUG 2007-09-17 meeting & SF-LUG.COM replacement box (& BALUG)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 15 11:49:18 PDT 2007

So, new box(es) ..

For the SF-LUG 2007-09-17 meeting, can we round up myself, Jim Stockford,
and Nathan?  If we can round up the "core" systems administrators of
the sf-lug.com. box, we could include doing a "planning meeting" for
the new box(es) at the SF-LUG 2007-09-17 meeting.

Also, do we have more details on the new/replacement hardware?  E.g.
make, model, configuration/specifications, etc.?  (Do we even have those
details on the existing sf-lug.com. hardware?).  Do we know if both
boxen have an additional Ethernet interface available (e.g. to set up
private direct connection between the boxes, to be able to transfer lots
of data relatively quickly - and also quite securely)?  Can we get remote
KVM (not just serial console) access to these systems?  Also having remote
power control would be good too (but in a pinch, colo can generally handle
powering devices off and on ... some even have facilities to allow that
without  physically touching the hardware ... and some may even allow that
to be controlled by the clients via software).

CDs/DVDs ... should we have/leave some suitably appropriate "recovery"
CD/DVD in the boxen, so that with remote KVM access, if/when recovery,
troubleshooting, etc., may be needed, we'd have a most appropriate
media already in the box and ready to boot from (with possible change
first to the boot configuration).