[sf-lug] need advice: GPL licensing question

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:02:00 PDT 2007

Well, I'm no lawyer, so it's possible I'm misinterpreting here, but it seems
to me the XML files might be covered under "System Libraries".  I know
they're not system libraries per se, but they seem to loosely fit the
general qualifications laid out in the following section taken from the
current GPLv3 (at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html):

"The "System Libraries" of an executable work include anything, other than
the work as a whole, that (a) is included in the normal form of packaging a
Major Component, but which is not part of that Major Component, and (b)
serves only to enable use of the work with that Major Component, or to
implement a Standard Interface for which an implementation is available to
the public in source code form. A "Major Component", in this context, means
a major essential component (kernel, window system, and so on) of the
specific operating system (if any) on which the executable work runs, or a
compiler used to produce the work, or an object code interpreter used to run
it."