[sf-lug] Fwd: help moving a public middle school in San Francisco to FOSS

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Sun Sep 2 08:30:27 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 12:00 -0700, jim stockford wrote:
> the following is a request for expertise in getting
> Open Office spreadsheet program to load a .xls
> file quickly and to allow working with it with complete
> confidence.

Certainly don't count myself as an Open Office expert, but I'd mention
three points:

- If it's not working immediately under Open Office, getting a quick
hack in place in a very short time frame for something so "mission
critical" is probably not a good idea. Migrating the school to FOSS is a
great idea, but trying to push it through when all the kinks haven't
been worked out will do more harm than good. I'd suggest working out the
issue til you're 100% confident before presenting it. Even if that means
missing this particular deadline.
- What does the spreadsheet contain? Could you export it as .csv and
then try opening that in OpenOffice, or are there macros and such in the
spreadsheet that prevent this?
- Have you tried any of the other FOSS applications that support .xls
files (gnumeric, Koffice, there may be others).

Thanks, Tom