[sf-lug] need CentOS 5 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5) platform info

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 28 17:10:24 PDT 2007

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

> I may get a box with the following:
>      CPU:  Intel Xeon X3210 2.13GHz Quad-Core - 8MB L2 Smart Cache
> 1066MHz System Bus
>      RAM:  2GB (2 x 1GB) Unbuffered ECC DDR2-667
>      NIC:  Dual 10/100/1000 Mbps NICs (Intel 82573L + 82573V) -
> Integrated
>      Management:  None
>      PCI Riser Options:  PCIe (For PCI-X Options, Please Contact our
> Sales Department)
>      PCIe x8:  None
>      Fixed Drive - 1:  250GB Seagate Barracuda ES (3Gb/s,7.2Krpm,16MB
> Cache,NCQ) SATA
>      Fixed Drive - 2:  250GB Seagate Barracuda ES (3Gb/s,7.2Krpm,16MB
> Cache,NCQ) SATA
>
> Does anybody see a potential problem (e.g. Oh, No! the
> NIC won't work! or some such)?

Important datum missing from above:  What's the south bridge chip?

(Providing make/model of the motherboard permits deducing the south
bridge, equivalently.  In either event, the main reason to want to know
is to check for SATA driver problems.)

i82573L is the same vintage ethernet chip as used in the Lenovo
T60/T60p.  Obviously, you need a recent enough e1000 driver for it.
RHEL4 U4's kernel was, IIRC, the first to have support.  This argues
that CentOS 5 should not be a problem, in that area.

What'cha doing with all that CPU, Jim?  Inquiring minds, and all that.