[sf-lug] firewall/gateway clarification

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 18:41:07 PDT 2007

Rick, thank you very much; this has been very helpful indeed:
-... two types of
> "firewalls":
>
> 1.  Sets of IP/port filter rules.
> 2.  Application-level proxies.
>
> The latter is also, synonymously, referred to as an
> "application-level gateway".
 "SOCKS"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS
..all attempts to help
> debug Linux networking failures have to start with "What does
> /sbin/iptables L, run as root, say?" and "What's in /etc/hosts.allow
> and
> /etc/hosts.deny?"
Oh, and by the way:
What do you mean when you describe IP/port filter rule sets as being
"orthogonal?" I think I've seen that term used elsewhere in my reading
about these subjects but couldn't understand how the word was being
used. (Clearly NOT in the sense defined in the OED!)

alex at kleider.net