[sf-lug] Question for an interview

jim stockford jim at well.com
Tue Aug 14 16:30:07 PDT 2007

    probably too late, but it's an interesting question, so
just in case:

0 first discover the nature of the Linux work. Probably
not desktop, maybe a local (or remote) server host?
what kind of servers (or other apps)? any backup
specifics? security specifics?

1 storage, including filesystems and RAID and backup
techniques.
2. IPtables and monitoring, maybe admin software
such as nagios, cactii, etc.
3. shell scripting with BASH, perl, possibly some other.
4. server install and config, notably apache, mysql....
5. ssh access issues, configure sshd to be open on
other ports than the default.