[sf-lug] jabber & DNS / SRV problem

Rogelio Bastardo scubacuda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 09:55:29 PDT 2007

I've gotten jabber services running, and I have no problems connecting
with jabber-friendly clients, such as Pidgin or GAIM.

However, services like Meebo.com do not let you change the default
jabber port (5222 clear txt; 5223 ssl) or server (e.g.
jabber.domain.tld).  You just put in your username / password, and all
"works" as long as your anchor record (.domain.tld) is pointed to the
your jabber server.

I thought my answer was an SRV record in my domain.tld's DNS

Maybe something like this?

_xmpp-client._tcp.domain.tld 86303 IN SRV 5 0 5222 jabberBox.otherDomain.tld

But that doesn't work.

Any ideas?