[sf-lug] Hayes Valley Setup

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Fri Jul 27 16:57:09 PDT 2007

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know I got a call from Gloria because one of the
machines "wasn't working". I came over as it's just around the corner
from me (although we probably need to work out a "support procedure" for
the future). Turns out someone has just left a floppy disk in and it was
trying to boot off that, so maybe locking down the boot device would be
a good idea...

Anyway, also wanted to report that I tested the LTSP functionality and I
have to say it rocks pretty hard. Admittedly I was only logged into one
system, but I would say the performance was just as fast if not faster
via LTSP than logging in locally. Since it's all setup already, we may
want to think about reverting back to this if we can prove the
performance and a few other things (video/audio support particularly).
I'd suggest that we have an initial test the next time we're able to get
to the lab (just have a bunch of us boot into the thin client and play
around) and if it's successful maybe have a "testing week" where we
co-ordinate with Tami, and let her know that we are testing out booting
off the server. We then have them try out the performance and other
stuff and if they like it, we leave it that way. This would greatly
simply the setup in that we wouldn't need to worry about LDAP/NFS
mounting, etc.

Let me know what you think, and in any case, can discuss at the next
SF-Lug meeting.

Cheers, Tom
--

Tom Haddon