[sf-lug] Interlopers/intrusion/linux security (continuation of "interlopers"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 21 12:51:17 PDT 2007

I wrote:

> I realise it's standard advice to deal with Internet security by
> deploying port/IP-blocking.  The standard advice is basically rubbish.

Here, Alex, if you want to learn something _real_ about computer/network
security, this inspiring little, sarcastic essay by my personal hero
Marcus J. Ranum is the right place to start:

http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/master-tzu/

That will put you in the right frame of mind; Marcus has a real gift for
cutting through security-biz bullshit, y'see.

And then read this book by Bill Cheswick and Steven Bellovin:
http://www.wilyhacker.com/

You can read the first edition, on which I cut my teeth concerning this
subject, in the day, online for free:  http://www.wilyhacker.com/1e/

Throw away the netfilters/iptables tutorials, for now.