[sf-lug] Creating a Linux Lab

bobbie sellers bliss at california.com
Mon Jul 2 12:15:18 PDT 2007

Hi Romel Jacinto, On 07/02/07, you wrote:

    And I accidentally sent you a second copy of this
posting trying to edit the To line to sent to the group.
Sorry about that.

> On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Tom Haddon wrote:

>> "For up to 10 clients, and modest services, use a recent
>> desktop PC with 1GB of RAM and an extra NIC."

>> Not sure if there's a machine that would qualify for these
>> specs. It
>> might be possible to move some RAM around in some of the
>> machines that
>> are on site...

> None of the Dell Gx150 machines that were donated meet these
> specs.

> According to Dell documentation, they can only accommodate 512
> MB of RAM. Ref: http://tinyurl.com/24b2sr That said, I've never
> tried putting more in these machines, so they may unofficially
> accept more.

> I do not know the status of other machines at the lab, but Kami
> might.

> Also, please note the although there is a spare PCI slot
> available, these machines are "small form factor" and require a
> half-height aka low-profile PCI card.

> --
> Romel

    My portable laptop form fact machine has only 512 MB RAM
and handles Windows XP® as well as Mandriva® and has obvious
limitation but still works in a fully acceptable fashion.
Of that 512, 128 is used as shared graphics memory.

    later
    bobbie sellers

--
 bobbie sellers - (Back to Angband) Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
             bliss at california dot com

    So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better
for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then
joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God
has given him under the sun.  Ecclesiastes 8:15