[sf-lug] Creating a Linux Lab

Catenare LLC catenarellc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:06:21 PDT 2007

On 02 Jul 2007, at 11:18 AM, Jeff Bragg wrote:

> "None of the Dell Gx150 machines that were donated meet these specs.
>
> According to Dell documentation, they can only accommodate 512 MB
> of RAM.
> Ref: http://tinyurl.com/24b2sr
> That said, I've never tried putting more in these machines, so they
> may
> unofficially accept more.
>
> I do not know the status of other machines at the lab, but Kami might.
>
> Also, please note the although there is a spare PCI slot available,
> these
> machines are "small form factor" and require a half-height aka
> low-profile PCI card."

I have 2 Dell PowerEdge 2300 Servers with 512MB of RAM each. They're
Dual Processor Pentium 3 machines @ 600mhz. One has a 20/40gb DLT
drive. I'm about to recycle them but would rather donate them if
anyone is interested. 3Com Superstack II Dual Speed hub available too.
I've actually used similar servers for a Linux lab setup in South
Africa. I used a combination of Edubuntu and regular debian for my
lab. Also used recycled machines and thin terminals (from Devon IT
http://www.devonit.com) in the lab.

Let me know if interested. Thanks.

Johan N. Martin
Catenare LLC