[sf-lug] Finally Frickin' Freedom Fone

Blake Haggerty Blake.Haggerty at Sapphire.com
Thu Jun 28 08:18:21 PDT 2007

I have been reading about this phone for about the last six months and I am wondering  what are the real advantages to owning over lets say a regular PDA phone (mine plays music, movies, has all the bells and whistles) Anyone have a picture of it???

Best Regards,

Blake M. Haggerty

-----Original Message-----
From:Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
To: "sf-lug at linuxmafia.com" ;
Sent: Jun 27, 2007 09:29:39 PM
Subject: [sf-lug] Finally Frickin' Freedom Fone

There will be OpenMoko phones available for sale July 9, finally,
according to the head of the project. More information at
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-June/006005.html .

July 9's version won't have wifi but will cost a "measly" $300; the full
wifi'd and accelerometer and 3D-accelerated edition in October will cost
$450. People do tell me that it's more important to buy a data plan on
the cell network than to have wifi even if your phone has wifi because the
cell network is always there for you.

I've been waiting for this since I heard about the project in January.
It's like the Trolltech Greenphone, only actually interesting. GSM only
(in the US, that means T-Mobile or Cingular/AT&T/NSA); Verizon users need
not apply. I just switched to T-Mobile in preparation for this (if the
other choice is funding a secret NSA eavesdropping lab, it's not really a
choice at all).

I, for one, plan to enjoy this beautiful, liberated, liberating
convergence device as a music player, mobile telephone, personal digital
assistant, and so on. And regardless I'll see you all soon - I'm arriving
to SF in about two weeks.

-- Asheesh.

--
So this is what it feels like to be potato salad

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain privileged or confidential information.  If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from
reading, printing, duplicating, disseminating or otherwise
using or acting in reliance upon this information.  If you have
received this information in error, please notify the sender at
Sapphire Technologies immediately, delete this information
from your computer and destroy all copies of the information.
Thank you.