[sf-lug] Fwd: Linux volunteer

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat May 26 10:26:05 PDT 2007

jim stockford wrote:
> any one want to help Ubuntu-fy P-II boxes for
> this project?

Given that these are PII boxes, I would suggest Xubuntu (XFCE-based)
instead of Ubuntu (GNOME-based) or Kubuntu (KDE-based). If all these
machines will be in the same room, they should also look into the
possibility of using LTSP which is a breeze to install and configure
under Ubuntu  7.04 and its variants. The PII boxes in the LTSP example
will boot off the network  and will need a 100Mbps switch and a server
in the back.

I'm busy with end-of-semester duties, so I cannot personally assist.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University