[sf-lug] (forw) Re: [Evals] Linux at the Indy 500

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 24 12:13:00 PDT 2007

To give them credit, Starks and Devine actually _did_ do something with
the donation money.

Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:10:20 -0700
To: evals at lists.merlins.org
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [Evals] Linux at the Indy 500

Quoting Ed Holden (ed.holden at verari.com):

> http://news.com.com/Photos+Linux+penguin+to+race+in+the+Indy+500/2300-11
> 389_3-6186004-1.html?part=rss&tag=6186004&subj=news

Promoters of this initiative are Kenneth Starks ("helios") and Derrick
Devine aka Derrick Penner ("devnet"), who've been running a noisy
money-raising campaign at Linux-community Web/news sites.  I'm impressed
at how much attention their _campaign_ has gotten.  By comparison,
honestly, what's the likelihood a couple of tiny, expensive penguin
stickers[1] on an Indy 500 car (a car that probably won't even be a
contender, being in starting position #31) will even _register_ with the
Indy-watching public, let alone build awareness about a computer
operating system?  I predict that, if people notice it at all, they'll
assume "Linux" is some obscure soft drink not carried by their local
supermarkets.

I also predict that, when _that_ happens, Starks and Devine will blame
the "community" for donating insufficient money.

[1] I also see advertising logos on the car for Miller-Eads, Honda,
Firestone, TMD(?), Chastain Motorsports, and several others.)

----- End forwarded message -----