[sf-lug] Hot From the Red Hat Press: AMD to Open Source ATI

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 18:38:47 PDT 2007

ATI made it very clear, a couple of months ago, that they have no plans to open up the drivers. In their statement, they cited concerns over DRM as the reason to stay closed. AMD may have purchased ATI, but that doesn't mean they can completely dictate policy at ATI.

Intel opened up their graphics specs because they had nothing to lose and something to gain. ATI apparently thinks they will suffer a loss by opening specs to their graphics processors.

krmdv at aim.com wrote:  I finally had a chance to speak with Spot about Christopher Blizzard's blog, and Spot did say that AMD was very vague with their statement at the Summit.

 One thing to note, during the Red Hat Annual Kickoff meeting in March, AMD was a keynote speaker on one of the days.  AMD is obviously pushing their new AMD V chip sets and really want to continue the success they have had over Intel the past few years.  Obviously with the Pentium-D chipsets, AMD took a step forward while Intel had to fix their cooling problem.  Then multi-core hit, and next was Virtualization.  Intel has pretty much caught up from the Pent-D days, and are now starting to take more market share with the Virtualization support they provide.   Believe you me, AMD is watching this very closely and are pushing their AMD V chips very hard.

 When we started the Q&A session, I was the first to ask AMD what their plans were for Graphic Driver Support.  They did give me the song and dance, but we at Red Hat have made it VERY clear that AMD must solve this problem.    I stressed that they open source frglx drivers and leverage the open source community.  They countered this quesitoning at the Summit with the response I had sent earlier.  Will this come to fruition?  I bevlieve it will.  AMD knows they need to get this fixed or Intel will leave them in the dust.  I work daily with one of the first T60p's that IBM/Intel released, and everday I wish I had a new T60p Developer model with the Intel i965 graphics chips.  If any of you have seen the new Gnome Desktop affects on RHEL5, then you will understand why I want the Intel Graphics chip :)

  I work with virtualization everyday and battle with the lack of graphics driver support for ATI with Xen.  There is one patch that is extremely outdated surfing around the net, but its not being maintained anymore :(  It really should not be that difficult for ATI, but I guess I we will have to wait and see...

 Hope to see you all really soon!

 DK