[sf-lug] bindrndc

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon May 14 23:23:52 PDT 2007

Another niceity I stumbled across - at least in BIND 9.x,
is that the rndc configuration file (e.g. /etc/rndc.conf) also
respects the include statement - so by using include statement
in both rndc.conf and named.conf, they can both access a common
key file that way.  Note that with chroot things get slightly
more interesting (one will need the symbolic links and files in
the appropriate places, e.g.:
ls -l \
/etc/named-balug.conf \
/etc/rndc-balug.conf \
/etc/rndc-balug.key \
/var/named/chroot-balug/etc/named-balug.conf \
/var/named/chroot-balug/etc/rndc-balug.key \
/var/named/chroot-balug/var/run/named-balug.pid \
/var/run/named-balug.pid
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root       44 May 12 09:05 /etc/named-balug.conf ->
/var/named/chroot-balug/etc/named-balug.conf
-rw-r-----  1 root     balugdns 1163 May 12 09:37 /etc/rndc-balug.conf
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root       42 May 12 09:05 /etc/rndc-balug.key ->
/var/named/chroot-balug/etc/rndc-balug.key
-rw-r-----  1 root     balugdns 2079 May 13 08:08
/var/named/chroot-balug/etc/named-balug.conf
-rw-r-----  1 root     balugdns  138 May 12 09:19
/var/named/chroot-balug/etc/rndc-balug.key
-rw-r--r--  1 balugdns balugdns    5 May 13 08:25
/var/named/chroot-balug/var/run/named-balug.pid
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root       47 May 13 08:25 /var/run/named-balug.pid ->
/var/named/chroot-balug/var/run/named-balug.pid
)
The example above is from a non-Debian system, ... so things may be
a wee bit different for Etch (not to mention the above was customized
to separate it out from the default nameserver chroot configuration -
including also customized init scripts and some other tweaks).