[sf-lug] server options

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Apr 27 10:14:18 PDT 2007

    For newbies, Ubuntu seems to be a popularly
approved choice. Seems to me the key points are
good device driver support and some limits to
keep newbies from driving into ditches.
    I like Red Hat, which means Fedora or CentOS,
mainly because it seems still to have the best
support in terms of books and online documentation
and local gurus.
    Debian, I'm told, is not for newbies. There's a
very good book, Debian System, Concepts and
Techniques, by Martin Krafft (No Starch Press),
that includes a Debian DVD (sarge, I believe).
The most lauded Debian feature is updating--
it's easy to get updates as the package manager
does a good job of addressing dependencies.

    Seems to me that you should investigate your
pool of geek pals--who's available to help you
and will keep their commitments to stick out the
tough parts. If you don't have any geek pals, I'd
say develop some (in this and in other groups)
before you commit seriously to systems. Also,
don't let anything stop you, get going now. It
shouldn't matter which OS you use as you're
certain to do things badly at first--get something,
cut your teeth, re-do it, cut more teeth, get pals
involved, and at some point you'll be ready to
set up system that works as you want it to. My
guess is won't take you long, judging from your
email.