[sf-lug] Small business automation and internet presence.

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Sat Apr 21 11:22:25 PDT 2007

Hello Robert,

I'm in a similar boat as yourself. I've been using something that I
built myself using Access but wanted something web enabled that I could
get to from a few different trusted computers and make the system
accessible to partners/employees.

What I found was that packages like Compiere and SugarCRM are pretty big
and really too much for what I needed. I wanted something that I could
get in a tweak mainly to do job time tracking and automated invoices.
The best one I found was phpBMS. It's under active development and the
coding by the developers has impressed me as I work with it. It's not a
really mature project but it does quite a lot from a business operations
standpoint. You can check out the online demo at phpbms.org. Since
you'll likely be living with this system for a while, I'd advise going
through every operation you can think of on a test setup of whatever
packages you narrow down to.

I'm currently doing a module for phpBMS that allows invoice line items
to be entered over time and that will be automatically assembled into an
invoice and emailed when the time is right. It's a good thing if you
bill variable numbers of hours over time.

Finally, once you decide to go live, definitely use SSL and .htaccess to
secure it at a minimum.

-Dave